Wednesday, September 14, 2011

CUBE BOOK: PAPA HONG ON YONG JUNHYUNG






image
Junhyungie was originally a vocal singer in his previous group. Regardless of this fact, I heard from the rookie development team that he specifically asked if he could take on the role as the rapper instead. Knowing that he had an exceptional way of expressing words, I had no reason to veto that decision. Rapping each line with such emotion as if he had already experienced all the love and hardships in life, Yong Junhyung. Thinking of which group might’ve gotten their hands on such an amazing rapper if I had eventually let him go as a trainee… It makes me incredibly grateful and relieved that we brought him back. The tough and manly way he speaks his rhymes but with his soft charisma. The way he uses that charisma to his advantage on the stage, Junhyung’s rapping is like a masterpiece that the spotlight has no choice but to shine on. 

From the very first mini-album, Junhyungie wrote his own lyrics carefully. To tell you the truth, as soon as he revealed that he wanted to be the rapper of the group, he also revealed that he would like to write his own lyrics as well. He had the ability to work and rework each rap with such finesse that even the other members were amazed. These days, he is so immersed with writing and composing that he will come to me every day with questions and during his free time, will come up with questions that he can ask more experienced composers and songwriters as well. Anytime the group comes back from a schedule or from overseas activities, I know he must be tired but whenever I look for him, he has somehow ended up back in the recording studio. 
He waited patiently and worked so hard for this moment although I’m sure it was very difficult. To tell you the truth, I should be thankful to him for giving me another chance to work with him again. When I see how hard he continues to work to this day, there are times when I feel tears. If I hadn’t brought him back when he was ready to quit being a trainee, where would he be? But more importantly, where would I be? Unprecedented passion, Yong Junhyung. I will forever feel grateful and sorry. 
- Papa Hong, “If you stop now, there is no spotlight”
Credit: heydooj via tumblur

No comments:

Post a Comment